SPC is an independent membership charity that strives to promote choice, independent and wellbeing amongst older adults in the London Borough of Southwark. Our key principles include:
- initiating new activities and approaches to meeting need
- empowering individual pensioners, pensioners’ groups and those working with older people to the same ends,
- maintaining users’ independence and autonomy.
- working to meet unmet need, rather than necessarily filling gaps ourselves.
- anti-discriminatory practice to promote equality of opportunity.
- operating as a ‘not-for-profit’ organisation, offering low-cost services to promote accessibility.
- A Voice for Older People: SPC promotes a clear voice for older people in Southwark. We seek to enable and empower older people by working closely with Age Concern London, Age UK, Southwark Council and Southwark based voluntary organisations and by directly supporting the Southwark Pensioners Forum and other consultative bodies across Southwark and London.
- SPC Membership: SPC will remain a vigorous and creative membership-based organisation and will seek to enlarge and increase the membership throughout the London Borough of Southwark.
- Communication, Marketing and Information Technology: SPC listens to the needs of older people in Southwark and in turn promotes relevant activites, events and services to older people. We also promote, develop and encourage the use of IT amongst older people.
- Advice Services: SPC delivers high quality information, advice and guidance, covering topics such as benefits, social care, mental health and money management, working closely with Southwark Council and other key partners.
- Health and Wellbeing: SPC actively promotes the health and well-being of older people, working in partnership with its members, Southwark Council, local organisations, GPs, health centres and NHS/LA commissioners to facilitate a comprehensive health and wellbeing programme for older adults aged 50 +.